SNOMADS 22ND ANNUAL GOLF TOURNAMENT - FEB 21ST! (Feb '15)
- Come and have the most fun you’ll have all winter! No golf experience necessary! Bring you quad and Tread Lightly! Located at The Silver Ridge Ranch In Easton, at Exit 70 off of I-90. Team registration begins at 9am with a shotgun start at 10am. Find full details on the Snomads Facebook page at www.facebook.com/SnomadsWA
or call Chuck White at (509) 260-0662.
FEBRUARY SNOFLYER NOW POSTED! (Feb '15)
- The February Snoflyer is posted here
! (Page flipper version here
FINAL POLICY FOR OVER-SNOW VEHICLES RELEASED BY FOREST SERVICE (Feb '15)
- The Forest Service recently sent out the press release titled "Forest Service issues final policy for over-snow vehicles on national forests, grasslands". (Click here for the official press release.)
We knew this was coming and it means each of us needs to be on top of this and be ready to comment in support of snowmobiling. WSSA will keep you updated and let you know what is required as our local Forests work to comply with this new policy. (YOUR SUPPORT WILL BE REQUIRED AND WILL MAKE THE DIFFERENCE!)
NATURE CONSERVANCY BUYS 48,000 ACRES FROM PLUM CREEK TIMBER COMPANY (Nov '14)
SNOWMOBILE REGISTRATIONS FOR THE 2014/2015 SEASON ALREADY LAGGING LAST YEAR (Nov '14)
- State Parks recently announced snowmobile registrations for this new season are significantly behind last year at this time. Pamela McConkey, our Winter Rec. Program Manager, asked WSSA to remind snowmobilers the importance of registering their snowmobiles. She reminds: "It really is their investment for the future. The winter recreation snowmobile program is driven and funded solely by snowmobile registrations, (registrations and fuel tax based on number of snowmobiles registered) NO general funding, NO State Parks funding. Because of that fact, we set our budget each summer using the revenue generated by the previous winter season’s snowmobile registrations. (we only spend the revenue we have….not what is projected). Click here for the current registration statistics.
- This purchase is along the I-90 Corridor and encompasses hundreds of miles of groomed snowmobile trails and off-trail play areas. The Nature Conservancy has announced their intent to work with current land users/user groups to formulate a new land management strategy to protect/enhance ecological values and maintain public access. WSSA, the Washington State Parks Winter Recreation Program, and local clubs have already been in touch with Nature Conservancy officials and are hoping for a smooth transition and normal access/grooming for the 2014/2015 snowmobile season. Click here for maps with the land purchases and snowmobile trails overlaid.
WSSA SCHOLARSHIP INFO UPDATED!
(Oct '14) - The Scholarship page has been updated with information on the 2015 WSSA $1,500 Scholarship. Click here for the details!
SALMON LA SAC ROAD DESIGNATED AS A SNO-PARK ZONE (Sep '14)
- A message from your State Parks Winter Rec. Program Manager:
During the SMAC summer funding meeting we received a request to explore the possibility of having the Salmon La Sac Road designated as a Sno-Park zone.
On July 30, 2014 I wrote and sent a formal request to Kittitas County Public Works Department requesting a change to “Kittitas County code 10.07.020 Winter areas designated”. This request was for Kittitas County to declare the Salmon La Sac road between French Cabin and the Salmon La Sac Sno-park be deemed a sno-park zone.
On September 16, 2014 staff from the Kittitas County Department of Public Works presented a requested action to “Conduct a public hearing to consider amending Kittitas County Code Section 10.07.020 “Winter areas designated”. Several snowmobilers and WSSA representatives attended and testified during this public hearing in favor of this change. I also testified in favor of this action and answered a few questions from the Commissioners.
The Commissioners, after hearing all testimony and having their questions answered satisfactorily voted unanimously to approve this change. Therefore, anyone parking along the Salmon La Sac Road between French Cabin and the Salmon La Sac Sno-Park will be required to display a valid sno-park permit immediately upon the installation of the appropriate signing, with installation and removal being done by the County each year. These signs will be installed on or around November 1 each year and removed no later than April 30.
I would like to thank those that took the time to attend, testify and those that provided written support of this request.
Although the majority of the users along this road are snowmobilers, we also have a significant number of cross country skiers and snowshoers that park along this road as well. This change will require all vehicles to display a valid sno-park permit.
If you have any questions, please let me know.
DNR TO ADOPT TRAILS POLICY (Sep '14)
- Snowmobilers need to be aware of and involved in this. The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is inviting the public to a series of open houses across the state to gather ideas and discuss the development of an agency recreational trail policy. This follows a decision by the legislature in March 2014, which requires the agency to develop a recreational trail policy for DNR-managed lands. A recreational trail policy will help DNR to continue managing natural resources while providing a broad range of sustainable recreation opportunities, including non-motorized and motorized activities such as hiking, horseback riding, mountain biking, motorcycle and ATV riding, and 4x4 use. Public input can also be made via e-mail. Check out this website for details: http://dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEducation/Topics/RecreationPlanning/Pages/amp_rec_trails_policy.aspx
LOOKING FOR SNOWMOBILE SAFETY AND ACCESS INFORMATION? (Jun '14)
- The Snowmobile Safety and Access Information Center is provided by the American Council of Snowmobile Associations in fulfillment of a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) to support snowmobile safety and access training and product development. Your one stop shop; click here
to visit www.snowmobileinfo.org!
WSSA IS ON FACEBOOK & TWITTER (Jan '10)
- Search "Washington State Snowmobile Association" on Facebook and become a fan! Check us on Twiter too at "wssaus".